Wednesday, December 9, 2015

12-9-2015 MUNCHEN, GERMANY

The drive to Munich from Ulm is short and frightfully fast on the autobahn so instead we decided to take the little back roads through the farm land and small villages.  The broad leaf trees are bare this time of year, huge clumps of mistletoe cling to the branches and the fields are either plowed under or covered with green velvet.  There were blinds scattered here and there, maybe for ducks or venison on the hoof?  Little villages of white houses with red roofs dot the landscape, always a kirche (church) as the centerpiece. 
Curiously, every now and then, there was what looked like a cemetery headstone with a cross on it out in the middle of a field.  I had to know what this is and so we stopped.  On this particular stone were the words, “Gott segne u schutze die Fluren Kreigsjahr 1940.”  I couldn’t find the words in my book and the hotelier here in Munich told me this is Old German.  It says, “God bless and protect our fields.  War Year 1940.” 
A quiet, thoughtful prayer engraved on this stone.  Did the farmers in the back country, without TV or internet, even know what the war was all about?  Maybe not.  Only that their fields might be bombed and they and their families would be left destroyed, hungry and in despair.  If this little monument could but talk.

We didn’t really know where we were in the little town of Krumbach but we came upon the Munding Gasthof and it was open.  It is a lovely white building with green shutters, family-owned for generations.  The small restaurant has wooden tables and benches where you are seated with others. 
Munding Gasthof, Krumbach, Germany
The benches have simple quilted pillows on them for a little added comfort.  Ladies in pretty dirndls serve food and I hit the jackpot!  Leberknödel soup was on the menu!  It tasted delicious, similar to Mom’s but with a lot more liver.  I’ll have to remember that.  Once again, Rob ate schnitzel with fries, what else?  As we were leaving, we encountered an Advent wreath.  I haven’t seen one since I was a child.  Four candles stand amid the boughs of the wreath to symbolize four weeks until Christmas and the arrival of the Christ child.  Each week, one more candle is lit and so on this day, there were two weeks left until Christmas.  In grade school, we all assembled for the lighting of the advent wreath each week as we sang “Oh Come, Emmanuel,” and it was sweet agony for us little kids.  “Three more weeks to wait, I can’t stand it.”  In the Munding Gasthof, how pretty and peaceful this wreath was and it brought back a flood of memories.  (Some good.  Some bad if the good Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth were having a pissy day.)
Advent wreath at Munding Gasthof

After lunch, we pressed on through the farm country to Schwabmünchen and soon we hit the autobahn for the Platzl Hotel in München.  This hotel is luxurious in the extreme with tuxedo-clad doormen, everybody calling me “Madame” and piles of down-doobie-do-down-down on the bed.  It is no accident, either, that it was chosen by us months ago based upon its location about ½ block from the Hofbräuhaus, the happiest oompah saloon in the world.  We got settled into our digs and, well, we had to go somewhere for dinner, didn’t we?  Around the corner to the Hofbräuhaus!  Stephan, Gottlieb and Karl invited us to join their long wooden table to laugh and sing.  Food and big steins of beer were ordered.  My dinner was schweinhaxe, a rotisserie-roasted pig hock about the size of a football, and a potato dumpling with gravy.  Rob had… wait for it… schnitzel with hot potato salad.  Prosit!  Ah, lots more time to spend in München!
PROSIT!


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for another good story, brings back memories, being raised by my mother who herself was born in Bavaria. I am glad you are having a great time, Schnitzel is good, but there are a few other things worth trying. S.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had roast of wild boar with potato dumplings last night!
      Rob

      Delete
  2. Isn't Munich wonderful? Definitely heaven for beer drinkers and those who love German food. Couldn't Rob find a larger stein of beer? I remember those HUGE steins. Great fun. At the moment, I can't remember where we stayed in Munich but know it wasn't the Platzl. Will give it some thought. Are you going to Berlin too? Hard for me to decide if I like Munich or Berlin better...varies from day to day. The autobahn is a REAL experience. Much too fast for me! Love, TOB

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite cities. I had the fortune of working here, many moons ago.
    Eifersucht hab i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great town! I also worked here for a few months back in 1970. We are jealous too....we can't play pickleball here!
      Rob

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite cities. I had the fortune of working here, many moons ago.
    Eifersucht hab i

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the Advent wreath, we have the same in Denmark and I have one at my home in Perth. I've made one out of artificial evergreen, so after Christmas I just pack it away till next year ;) This year I will be working at Christmas, I won't be home till next year. Unless I take up the offer of going home for Christmas. We were told today there are days available for the holidays.
    Also thank you for your Christmas card which arrived the day after I left for work, looking forward to reading it when I return home for RnR.
    Thank you again for this blog and lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank & Diane Flemming - Do you feel some of your European heritage coming back!! Hey you're having too much fun. Regarding the tombstone. A friend of mine told me a story his father told him of where the U.S. buried several Germans after a battle and had a marker (it could have been a tombstone) made in a local town. I'm curious if there is any relation to your discovery................

    ReplyDelete