Thursday, June 13, 2024

6-13-2024 DRIVING THROUGH WYOMING

 I am planning to take a little time off from the t-log biz while we play with the Captain and Connie but I need to tell you about a few things.

 

There is a little town along the way called Ten Sleep.  An odd name for a town, I thought.  Well, the indigenous tribe of Indians that lived nearby used this area as a good resting point on their excursions because it was “ten sleeps” (that is, ten overnights) from any nearby threatening unfriendly tribes.  And the name stuck.

 

We're going through there, right?

Today’s drive was a bit daunting.   The road looked like it was headed straight into the snowcaps of the Bighorn Mountains.  And it was.  We were in third gear on the ascent and at one point, Rob turned on the heat to cool the engine down.  Fortunately, we were at elevation so it was a bit cooler outside.  We opened the windows.  We could watch and hear the rivers below, crashing down through the boulders.  I don’t know what class the whitewater is rated but I didn’t see any humans running the rivers and I suspect it is runable only by hardy souls such as Lonesome Larry.  At 9,666 feet, we crested at Powder River Pass and then began the descent. 
Watch out, Rob!  You're going to 
go over the edge!  Love from
The Flat Earth Society



The signs warned of five 8% grades ahead, check brakes.  Four grades left.  Check brakes.  Three grades left.  Check brakes.  Then, we came upon this:  a catch net.  Rather than a runaway truck ramp, the warning signs said, “There is a 7% grade hairpin 4 miles ahead.  Check brakes.  Consider using the catch net.”  It is a straight off-ramp that is cordoned off with a series of several elastic nets.  They are of the same technology as the cables that jets snag with the tailhook on an aircraft carrier and can stop a 90,000 lb. load traveling 90 mph.  The signs say, “Save your life!  Use the catch net.”  It has been used successfully six times since its installation and has saved the lives and vehicles every time.  I am only 75 years old but this was truly a new one for me!  Well, Rob was driving, watching the engine and using the “jake” brake so the DeLaMares didn’t wind up in the catch net.   Four 7% grades later, we made it, leveled out a little and it was safe to turn the wheel over to Lindy.
The Catch Net Channel 

Entrance to the Catch Net

Zoom in on this (L side)
to see the diagram of how the
net system works.

Warnings, warnings, warnings!

 

So here we are all rigged up and settled in at the KOA in Spearfish.  The weather forecast doesn’t look good, but if it holds, we may get in a little pickleball tomorrow.  And certainly, walleye for dinner, either way!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! Serious challenges for the driver. Nice going, Rob. Had we encountered anything like that during our motor home days, it would have triggered a 180-degree turn. Stay Safe.
    F & L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you have a professional driver available!!! Unsure I would want to tackle that run in a car never mind your beast!
    Rest up.
    Bob K

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I have ever heard of a "Catch Net" on a road, excellent idea to use this technology. As always I enjoy your T-logs, thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful and safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. F. Flemming – Queen Creek, Az, 06-18-2024 – Let me preface this by saying it’s probably much cooler where you are! We’re into serious triple digit temps! And if you don’t have a stash of real cold beer – you’re in trouble!! I’ve always found American/ native Indian names interesting, as they convey a meaning. For example, originally, I’m from Seattle. And Seattle was the name of a Suquamish, or Duwamish Indian chief way, way back long before I was born. If you’re from the Seattle area, many refer to him as chief Seattle. BTW early settlers bastardized the originally spelling, and I have no idea of the original Indian spelling. I believe Seattle, in Indian means little crossing-over place.

    Power River rings a distant bell. Chuckle! So, while the name sounds familiar, you’ve got me scratching my head! Have I been there before? I used to cringe negotiating 6% grades. But 8%!!! Hail Mary!! Well, the rule is be safe. You’ve got a Jake brake and that’s a blessing. Enjoy your trip. As always, I enjoy your stories and great pictures! - Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have Rob, a jake brake (whatever that is) - and this awesome technology of the Catch Net! Terrific. But, glad to read of your safety after the fact! Shudder. Well, keep on trucking! And sharing!!! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is wild. You would have to seriously commit to the net as that butt end wall would also end your trip your quickly.

    ReplyDelete